By Ro Charlton
Rivers are major geomorphological brokers, they express an awesome range of shape and behavior and move water and sediment from the land floor to the oceans. This e-book examines how river platforms reply to environmental swap and why this knowing is required for profitable river administration. hugely dynamic in nature, river channels modify and evolve over timescales that variety from hours to tens of hundreds of thousands of years or extra, and are present in a variety of environments.
This ebook offers a entire evaluation of contemporary advancements in river channel administration, truly illustrating why an knowing of fluvial geomorphology is key in channel upkeep, environmentally delicate layout and the recovery of degraded river channels.
- movement and sediment regimes: circulate iteration; stream regimes; sediment resources, move and yield
- channel methods: move features; techniques of abrasion and sediment delivery; interactions among stream and the channel boundary; deposition
- channel shape and behavior: controls on channel shape; channel changes; floodplain improvement; shape and behavior of alluvial and bedrock channels
- reaction to alter: how channels have replied to earlier environmental switch; affects of human job; reconstructing prior changes
- river administration: the fluvial hydrosystem; environmental degradation; environmentally delicate engineering suggestions; river recovery; the position of the fluvial geomorphologist.
Fundamentals of Fluvial Geomorphology is an fundamental introductory textual content for first and moment 12 months undergraduates. It presents readers with a transparent figuring out of the way the fluvial method operates at assorted spatial and temporal scales.
"This good-looking, concise quantity units forth to supply and creation to fluvial geomorphology at a mid-undergraduate point, and it does so nicely." -- I.S. Sasowsky, Choice
About the Author
Ro Charlton lectures within the Geography division on the nationwide collage of eire, Maynooth, the place she teaches undergraduate and postgraduate classes in fluvial geomorphology and hydrology. Her study pursuits comprise meandering river canyons in caves and the influence of weather swap on water assets.