By Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (auth.), Gerard O’Regan Bsc, Msc, PhD (eds.)
The heritage of computing has its origins on the outset of civilization. As cities and groups advanced there has been a necessity for more and more refined calculations. This booklet lines the evolution of computation, from early civilisations 3000 B.C. to the most recent key advancements in glossy times.
This worthy and energetic textual content presents a complete advent to the main themes within the historical past of computing, in an easy-to-follow and concise demeanour. It covers the numerous parts and occasions within the box - from the traditional Egyptians via to the current day - and either provides the reader a flavour of the heritage and stimulates extra learn within the subject.
• excellent for undergraduate classes, it bargains many pedagogical beneficial properties comparable to chapter-opening key themes, bankruptcy introductions, workouts, bankruptcy summaries, thesaurus, etc.
• bargains unique details on significant figures in computing, comparable to Boole, Babbage, Shannon , Turing and Von Neumann
• features a heritage of programming languages, together with syntax and semantics
• provides an outline of the heritage of software program engineering
• Discusses the growth of man-made intelligence, with extension to such key disciplines as philosophy, psychology, linguistics, neural networks and cybernetics
• Examines the historical past of the net revolution, world-wide-web and Dot-Com Bubble
• Follows the evolution of a few significant know-how businesses reminiscent of IBM, Motorola and Microsoft
Focusing at the basic components within the computing box, this truly written and broad-ranging textual content will trap the eye of the reader and drastically gain laptop technology scholars. moreover, it truly is compatible for self-study, and also will be of curiosity to the extra informal reader.
Dr Gerard O’Regan is a CMMI software program method development advisor with examine pursuits together with software program caliber and software program procedure development; mathematical ways to software program caliber; and the historical past of computing. He has released A useful method of software program Quality and Mathematical methods to software program Quality.
Read or Download A Brief History of Computing PDF
Similar history_1 books
Allegory and Sexual Ethics in the High Middle Ages (The New Middle Ages)
Guynn bargains an leading edge new method of the moral, cultural, and ideological research of medieval allegory. operating among poststructuralism and old materialism, he considers either the playfulness of allegory (its openness to a number of interpretations and views) and its disciplinary strength (the use of rhetoric to naturalize hegemonies and suppress distinction and dissent).
World Court Digest 2001 - 2005
The realm courtroom Digest maintains the Fontes Iuris Gentium, a chain that offers the selections of the everlasting courtroom of foreign Justice and the overseas court docket of Justice as much as 2000. the hot quantity covers the interval from 2001 to 2005. All very important pronouncements of the courtroom in its judgments and advisory evaluations are systematically prepared less than particular subject matters taken from important and procedural foreign legislations.
- Theaters of Desire: Authors, Readers, and the Reproduction of Early Chinese Song-Drama, 1300-2000
- North American AJ-1 Savage
- Biological Control Programmes in Canada, 1981-2000 (Cabi)
- Progress, Apocalypse, and Completion of History and Life after Death of the Human Person in the World Religions
- Language and Illumination: Studies in the History of Philosophy
Extra resources for A Brief History of Computing
3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. x +0= x x + (y + z) = (x + y) + z x+y =y+x x + (1–x) = 1 x1 = x x0 = 0 x +1=1 x y = yx x(yz) = (x y)z x(y + z) = x y + x z x(y–z) = x y–x z x2 = x xn = x (Additive Identity) (Associativity) (Commutativity) (Not operator) (Multiplicative Identity) (Commutativity) (Associativity) (Distributive) (Distributive) (Idempotent) These operations are similar to the modern laws of set theory with the set union operation represented by “+”, and this is the “or” operation in modern Boolean algebra.
The computation of the first row for the example above is easy, but it is more difficult for more complex polynomials. The other problem is to find a suitable polynomial to represent the function that you wish to calculate. This may be done by interpolation. However, once these problems are solved the engine produces pages and columns full of data. Babbage had received funding to build the Difference Engine but never delivered a complete system. He received over £17K of taxpayers funds, but for various reasons he only produced prototypes of the intended machine.
3 is that of an “OR” gate and this gate produces the binary value “1” as output if any of its inputs is “1”. That is, the OR gate will produce a TRUE result if any of its input is TRUE otherwise it will produce the output FALSE. Finally, a NOT gate accepts only a single input, either TRUE or FALSE, which it reverses (Fig. 4). That is, if the input is “1” the value “0” is returned and vice versa. The NOT gate may be combined with the AND or the OR gate to yield the NAND gate (NOT AND) or the NOR gate (NOT OR).